Friday, April 19, 2013

Starlight, Starbright



I have found there ísn't much I enjoy more than scouring a good yard sale. I love the prospect of finding a treasure in a mass of unwanted/discarded items.

Last fall, while pilfering through boxes of such items, I ran across a strand of dirty, cobweb strawn patio lights. The cord, with its exposed wires, looked a little less than sound but that didn't deter me from paying the .25 asking price and bringing them home.

 
 
 
Initially, my plan was to buy a new strand of lights to replace the existing ones and utilize them as they were intended. But first I had to do something about the dull, rusty gold patina the covers had acquired over time.  After removing the covers, and giving them a good scrubbing, I gave them a coat of silver metallic (spray) paint. Instant improvement.


While waiting for the covers to dry, I had the idea to try using the covers over tea light candles. Not only will the covers protect the flame from the wind, but the effect of the star cutouts will add great ambiance to any table/outdoor setting.







No comments:

Post a Comment