Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nature's Whimsy's

Disclaimer: If bugs/insects make you squirm, you may want to skip over this post.


My initial thought when I first noticed this beetle was, "That is the freakiest thing I've ever seen."

Second thought, "I better run and get my camera!" 


After a quick internet search I found this beetle to be a Female Broad Necked Root Borer.

Here's a little more info:

The stinger is actually the ovipositor of the female and she uses her ovipositor to deposit eggs.  According to BugGuide:  “Eggs are inserted into ground (or under litter) in groups. Larvae tunnel downward to feed on living roots of a variety of trees and shrubs. At first they may feed on bark, but then proceed to hollow out small roots.




Initially, I was a little hesitant to post these pictures. Then I reminded myself that is what this blog is, a journal of sorts on all the unusual and whimsical things I come across in my everyday life.

(Also, after seeing this girl  in her beetle attire, how could I not post the real-life inspiration?)

No comments:

Post a Comment