Monday, October 4, 2010

Miss Havisham Has A Dress

Remember this post? If you do, then you will recall my interest in incorporating the Charles Dickens character of Miss Havisham into this years Halloween decorations. One very important element of the story is that of Miss Havisham's wedding gown. I knew I wanted (needed) a dress in decent vintage condition, nothing too perfect nor too pricey. So, I gave myself the challenge of finding the perfect dress for $20.00 or less, and here is what I found.



To be honest this particular dress wasn't my first choice. My first choice dress was more ornate, with tons of bead work. I was "watching" it on Ebay, and eventually placed a bid. Needless to say it went for a lot more than I was interested in spending, so I continued searching. This dress also came from Ebay, and it was one of those "make me an offer" sells. The listing described it as a bit yellowed, which I thought merely added to the character of the dress. I love to imagine the woman who wore this dress. How old was she? What did she look like? Did she live happily ever ever? I like to think she did.



 Here is an updated picture of the candelabra I posted about here. Initially, I wanted to paint it black, I thought that would make it look very Halloween appropriate. However, I knew I wanted it to have a chandelier-like look, and that I wanted to use black drip candles (found here) for effect so I chose to paint it silver instead. I'm really happy with how it turned out! 

2 comments:

  1. This is seriously a perfect Miss Havisham dress. I'm obsessed with Great Expectations! So obsessed. It's such a haunting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - that is a perfect Miss Havisham dress!

    ReplyDelete